Short Rib Curry
Beef short ribs, boneless
ginger piece, peeled and roughly sliced
galangal piece, peeled and roughly sliced
garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
red chilli, seeds removed
birds eye chilli
Palm sugar, grated
Pea Eggplants, picked off stem
Apple Eggplant, cut into quarters
kaffir lime, zest
Kaffir Lime leaved, torn
- Pre heat oven 160 degrees
- To make the curry paste, place 100mls of the grapeseed oil into a food processor with the ginger, galangal, garlic and chillies, blend until smooth paste.
- To Prepare the short rib using a sharp knife cut the short rib into 4cm cubes, place braising pan on a high heat and add in 50mls of the grapeseed oil, once the pan is hot place the shot rib into the pan and sear off until golden brown on all sides, remove the short rib from the pan and set aside.
- In the same braising pan place the curry paste and cook off for 3-4mins constantly stirring until the paste has caramelised, add in the grated palm sugar and continue to cook for a further 2 mins, deglaze the pan by adding in the chicken stock. Cut the lemongrass into 4cm lengths and crush with the back of a knife to release the flavour, place the lemongrass into the curry, add in the coconut cream and milk and stir through, add in the fish sauce and return the seared short rib back to the pan, bring the curry to a gentle boil add in the cassia bark and star anise, cover with a lid and place into the preheated oven and allow to cook for 3 hours or until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Once the curry is cooked remove from the oven and add in the pea eggplants, quartered apple eggplants and the kaffir lime zest and leaves, place the lid back onto the pan and allow the eggplants to cook for 15-20 mins on a low heat until tender, remove from heat and allow to rest for 15 mins before serving.