Beef Australia Executive Chef Shane Bailey has prepared a beef alternative to your traditional ham to try this summer.
Queensland Pineapple & Rum glazed Beef Ham (BAM)
1 whole piece eye round approx. – 3 kg
2 litres water
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
6 bay leaves
- Bring all ingredients up to a simmer so that the sugar and salt dissolve
- Allow to cool before covering the beef
- Leave in fridge for 2 ½ days
- Take out of brine, give a quick rinse, and pat dry
- Next step is to smoke beef and bring up to an internal temp of 60 degrees.
I use an offset smoker but you could use any type of smoker or a Webber BBQ.
As the meat is cured, we want to add smoke flavour so do not overcook your beef.
- Allow to cool in the fridge
250 ml pineapple juice
1 pineapple cut into pieces
60 ml Bundy rum
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon five spice
¼ teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon pepper
- Set oven to 180C
- Place all ingredients in a pot
- Bring to the boil before simmering for five minutes
- Place beef in a tray – then pour the liquid and pineapple over beef
- Bake for ½ hour, basting every 5 minutes.
- Allow your beef ham to come up internal temp of 64’C
- Allow to cool slightly, or if you prefer serve cold
- Slice thinly and enjoy!