Beef Australia 2018 has an important role in raising an awareness of the health and economic benefits of eating our world class Australian product. Competitions will be developed to recognise the best of the food industry and showcase the talent of local chefs, restaurant staff and business owners to the general public, as well as the international guests converging on Rockhampton.
Central Queensland Awards of Excellence
The Central Queensland Awards of Excellence competition showcases the talent of local chefs, restaurant staff and business owners.
Pubs, clubs, cafes and takeaways are asked to nominate beef dishes to be judged in four categories: Best Steak, Best Beef Signature Dish, Best Low and Slow Beef Dish, and Best Beef Pie/Burger.
Beef Australia 2015 Tourism & Events Queensland Awards of Excellence Winners
- Best Steak – A La Carte Restaurants: Central Park Motel – Rocky’s Top Restaurant; runner up to Restaurant 98 and highly commended to the Waterline Restaurant Yeppoon.
- Best Steak – Pubs and Clubs: The Great Western Hotel; runner up the Ascot Hotel; and highly commended to The Ginger Mule.
- Best Beef Signature Dish – A La Carte Restaurants: Waterline Restaurant; runner up Restaurant 98; highly commended Centrepoint Motor Inn – Signatures Restaurant.
- Best Beef Signature Dish – Pubs and Clubs: The Great Western Hotel
- Best Beef Signature Dish – Cafes & Take-aways: Coffee House
- Best Low & Slow Beef Dish – A La Carte Restaurants: Restaurant 98.
- Best Low & Slow Beef Dish – Pubs and Clubs: The Great Western Hotel
- Best Beef Pie or Burger – A La Carte Restaurants: Central Park Motel – Rocky’s Top Restaurant; runner up Waterline Restaurant
- Best Beef Pie or Burger – Pubs and Clubs: The Great Western Hotel; runner up Glenmore Tavern; highly commended the PA Hotel.
- Best Beef Pie or Burger – Cafes & Take-aways: Coffee House; highly commended Big’s Takeaway
Beef Australia 2015 Signature Dish Street Food Competition
Beef Australia 2015 Signature Dish Street Food Competition: Amanda Lawrence – Sichuan beef steamed buns
Sichuan Beef Steamed Buns – WINNER
This new competition searched for the best, ready-to-eat, street-food style beef dish to serve at the expo as “Beef Australia’s Signature Dish”.
The competition was open to everyone from chefs to home cooks, but entrants must have used use Australian secondary beef cuts – any cut excluding tenderloin, cube roll or strip loin – as the hero in their tasty dish to help highlight to consumers the versatility of beef.
The Signature Dish needed to be easily prepared and be able to be eaten with your hands. All ingredients should be readily available and be in season in May so that the dish can be served to the thousands of visitors whom passed through the gate of Beef Australia 2015 each day.
Bimbadeen Beef Sausage Rolls
Thai Skirt Steak Rolls
Braised Beef Shin Rolls
Skirt steak tacos, garlic sauce
Indonesian Meatball ‘Bakso’ Soup
Braised Beef Bites
Beef skirt Baogers with an Asian salsa and sriracha mayo
Twice-Cooked Crispy Beef Breast
Cape Grim Beef Flat Iron Burger
Trio of Riblets, Mustard Marinade, Soy & Ginger and Chimichurri
Picanha and Rump Steak in Vietnamese Roll
Spicy Beef and Creamy Sweet Potato Mash Pie
Niquelandia Ox Tail
Apricot Beef Mini Pies
Sticky Spicy Beef Short Ribs
Texan style smoked Kimberley Red Denver steak sliders
Glazed Beef Cheek
Corned Beef & Sweet Potato Scrolls